IMG-20211009-WA0003-removebg-preview-1.png

Insecticides and Organophosphate Toxicity in dogs damage the nervous system, reduce heart rate, and cause muscle spasms. The problem is that they have the same impact on other animals. As they do on the insects they claim to repel. If you do not follow the dosage guidelines. In other words, use two types of organophosphates together, you could be at risk. Therefore it can be lethal. The antidote should be given immediately. It must be given after every two hours to recover fast. Pets are at risk of ingesting pesticides used in the home. Precaution should be taken while placing household baits to reduce uncertain poison. They obstruct the action of a brain enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine. It is a neurotransmitter. A single encounter might have consequences that last for weeks or months. However, Insecticides and Organophosphate toxicity cause key clinical signs that point to cholinergic activation.

Organophosphates and related compounds have consist of a wider range of toxicity and excretion. Their main application is insecticides. Non-target animals can ingest the products from open bait containers or indirectly become exposed by eating poisoned insects despite the fact that the targets are insects.

Contents

Causes of dog poisonings due to organophosphate insecticides

Here are some of the most common organophosphate insecticides:

TetrachlorvinphosTerbufosMethomylCarbofuran acephateChlorfenvinphos
PhoximCarbofuranFenthionMalathionPhosmet
DichlorvosAzamethiphosPyrethrinsEthionFenitrothion

Diagnosis of Organophosphate Insecticide Poisoning in Dogs

If you believe your dog has become unwell as a result of insecticide exposure. You must immediately remove your dog from the dangerous area or cease using the insecticides. You should seek medical attention before the condition becomes worse. Physical exam findings, as well as a history of organophosphate exposure or access, are used to make the diagnosis. It is difficult to make a diagnosis from a blood sample. Insecticides can be found in hair, skin, and urine samples. But test results on these samples take a long time to come back. An examination of the eyes, nose, and mouth will be performed. In addition blood pressure, heart rate, respiration, breath sounds, and oxygen levels, will also be performed.

Treatment of Organophosphate Insecticide Poisoning in Dogs
Treatment of Organophosphate Insecticide Poisoning in Dogs

The ECG is a non-invasive diagnostic tool that assesses your dog’s cardiac muscle. It is an electrical performance. The veterinarian will require all of the details regarding what happened and the symptoms you noticed. In addition any recent illnesses, injuries, or behavioural or appetite changes. Taking a sample of the poison with you to the veterinarian will help to better treat poisoning in your pet. If you know what it is or have a clue as to what it can do. The veterinarian will ensure that your dog is stable after the physical examination. After that, it will induce vomiting. Cholinesterase levels in the blood must be less than 25% of normal levels. This will enable a positive result to be confirmed.

Treatment of Organophosphate Insecticide Poisoning in Dogs

  • Your veterinarian may induce vomiting in your pet depending on how long it has been since he or she swallowed the toxin.
  • Your veterinarian may also use a tube to clean out your pet’s stomach .
  • If your pet is having problems breathing. In addition fluid therapy is necessary if your pet has been unable to drink or is anorexic.
  • Anti-seizure medicine will be provided to dogs that are experiencing seizures.
  • The veterinarian will bathe dog in a shampoo and then rinse him with hot water.
  • To regulate and reverse the effects on the central nervous system, dog will admit to the hospital. And start on IV fluids and atropine.
  • Insecticides, however, remain in the body for much longer than they do their antidotes.
  • Depending on the severity of the symptoms, additional treatment and assistance might be necessary.
  • If you begin therapy as early as possible and more vigorously, your pet has a better chance of surviving.
  • After your pet leaves the clinic, follow all treatment instructions and carefully monitor him for signs of recurrence of symptoms.
Treatment of Organophosphate Insecticide Poisoning in Dogs
The veterinarian will bathe him in a shampoo .

Recovery of Organophosphate Insecticide Poisoning in Dogs

It determines your dog’s chances of recovery. Your dog’s overall health may also play a role. If your dog is in good health and you can start treating him within 12 hours. In other words, your prospects are good if the poisoning is not severe.In other words, if your dog has taken a high dose of toxin into his system. To avoid a painful and lengthy death, many owners choose to euthanize their dogs in this situation.

Safety against Organophosphate Insecticide Poisoning

Understanding how insecticides operate and not combining different insecticides. This is the best way to avoid problems.

  • To protect your plants, follow the directions on the insecticide’s label.
  • Pesticides like carbamates and organophosphates are very effective and safe when used correctly.
  • When items are not used properly, toxicities might occur.For instance overuse or overexposure to insecticides in the surrounding.In other words the purposeful application on house or yard pesticides on dogs can all cause toxicity.
  • It is also crucial to store such items correctly, avoiding excessive heat wherever feasible.
  • Don’t use products that are not on the package.
  • Also, never use them if they are past their expiration date or if they are in an open container.

Before using insecticides in your home,garden, or on your pets, do your research. Always read the labels and avoid using anything that isn’t listed on the packaging. It can be harmful to your dogs, even fatal. Some typical flea and tick treatments for your dogs contain organophosphates. When an animal or person is overexposed to insecticides containing organophosphates, organophosphate poisoning or toxicity ensues. When some organophosphates are poorly handled. They can degrade into even more hazardous chemicals. They do not build up in the food chain. Since they are usually digested by soil microbes or broken down into less dangerous compounds. They are usually digested by treated animals as well, and the expelled metabolites aren’t harmful.

As a result, it’s critical to follow the label’s instructions for disposing of dipping solutions or any other product leftovers. We hope that by reading this blog, you will gain a better understanding of insecticides and organophosphate toxicity in dogs. In addition to recognizing the symptoms of inhaling poisonous substances, one should also take precautions and take treatment. Also, have a look at the pages on this site about various kinds of insecticides. 

Related blog: THE BEST INSECTICIDES FOR YOUR GARDEN PLANTS